Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sean’s beer birthday

Sean turned one year old last month and we opened one of the beers I made for him on his birthday.  As many of my followers may know, last year, before I even started blogging, I made a beer for my son Sean.  Relax! It’s not for him to drink now!!  I got the idea from a book I was reading around this time last year.  I don’t remember what book it was, but the idea came from the old days back in the 1600’s and 1700’s when people brewed at home because they had to.  When a child was born especially a first son, the father would brew a strong ale and set it down until the son was old enough to drink it with him.  Of course back then the age of maturity was much younger, however I was still willing to give this a go.  I made a strong Irish red ale and when I bottled the beer I put twine around the caps and covered the caps up with green wax to help keep the beer sealed shut.  Jenna and I opened the first bottle since we tried the beer last year.  The beer was a bit over carbonated and a little more on the malty side for a red ale, but it was still pretty good considering it was a year old!  I can’t wait until we open one next year.  We have put one aside to open every year until he is old enough to drink them himself.  At that time we’ll give him a case of the beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment