Saturday, November 19, 2011

November update

I know it's been a while since I last updated the blog.  Jenna and I have been working a lot.  I managed to brew a maple porter.  For those of you who may not know what a porter is, a porter is an ale, usually with a light brown to dark brown appearance.  It typically has a malt aroma and flavor with some mild roastiness.  Sometimes it has a caramelly, grainy, bready, or nutty flavor as well.  I added pure grade A maple syrup to my beer to give it a nice sweet maple taste.  Porters originated in England and are considered the precursor to stouts.

 I also managed to make a Barley wine and did what is called a partygyle mashing technique.  Typically a Barley wine is a very strong beer usually between 8-12% abv.  Since so much grain is used in making a Barley wine, brewers will typically take the first wort (term used for pre-beer liquid) and start boiling it.  They then heat more water (liquor) and use that to get the rest of the sugars out of the grain making a substantially weaker beer but also getting a 2 for 1 deal out of the grains.  I took the second runnings from my Barley wine and made a cinnamon vanilla beer with some anise in there as well.  I'm hoping its a good spiced beer for Christmas time.  The Barley wine is going to be aged for a long time so I'll keep you all updated. 

I brewed an Imperial IPA a few weeks ago and its currently being dry-hopped with the last of my homegrown hops.  We recently acquired some Ipswich ale yeast and I've plated it on a petri dish and made a starter as well.  In my next update I'll be displaying pictures of the yeast plates and a little more information about the lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment